Tuesday, March 20, 2012

It Used To Bother Me...

...When I realized that I hadn't blogged.

After all, I am trying to blog once a day, each day for a year.

So far, fail.  No, not an epic fail, but a fail nonetheless.

I could blame the weather, or the crisis in the Middle East, or the North Korean thing, or even that bum Manning singing with the Broncos, but I won't.

I will, instead, blame surgery.

I have been out of work for nearly a month thanks to recent hernia surgery.  Oh, the pain was fairly awful, but over time, it has become quite manageable, even dissipating to the point I don't even notice it anymore.  What has become UN-manageable, in a way, is my schedule.

Schedule?  What kind of schedule could one in recovery keep?  There is none to speak of, really.  I stay up fairly late watching crummy TV, wake up to take the boy(s) somewhere like school or to a babysitter, then return home to lay on the couch with more crummy TV.  Then, at some point, I get up and do something, like move something from here to there, or empty the dishwasher, or think about stuff I really need to do.  That takes up a lot of my time.

It's the schedule that I no longer have that is making this recovery worse as the days wear on.  No, I truly don't want to go back to work, after all, who does, but it's the regimented schedule that I need.  I need structure.  I need boundaries.  Right now, I have none of those.  Freedom some might say!  Wonderful, others might cheer!  But, I confess, I cannot cheer.  I cannot be free, until I am back at work, and missing all this freedom.  I need to have someone tell me when to eat, when to relax, and when to go to work.  Leaving that up to me has been a bad thing.

For example, this blog.  With a structured schedule, I would have blogged every day.  It would have gnawed at me just as I put my head on my pillow:  "Damn.  I didn't blog today."  Then, I get up, find either my iPhone or fire up the computer, and blog away.  But over the past month, as the days blend into each other, I simply forget that I have responsibilities.  Those here at home, and those on the Interwebs.

And so, I look forward to Thursday, when I go back to my Doctor, who will hopefully free me from this gilded cage, and send me back to the daily drudgery that is work.  (Though, for the record, I love what I do.)  Work itself, is a four letter word, even if you haven't worked a day in your life.

I am done working now on this blog for tonight.  I am hoping I remember to blog again tomorrow, and I am hoping I remember my Doctor's appointment on Thursday.

See you tomorrow.

--Jonny


No comments:

Post a Comment