Monday, March 5, 2012

I Am About To Become A Cord Cutter!

No, not in the traditional, umbilical sort of way.

As I mentioned in a previous post, Megan and I have purchased a Roku box, and are getting ready to get rid of cable forever.  (Or at least until we get sick of not being able to watch current TV.)  This practice, known as "cord-cutting", is becoming more popular for various reasons.

1.  Money.  Crime-Warner Cable just robs us blind.  From yearly (or more frequent) fee raises to a non a la carte scenario, we just cannot afford to subsidize their existence any longer.  In making this move, we will be saving approximately 100 dollars a month.
2.  Fewer commercials.  This is a big one for me, but as I am noticing as I make this transition, there are still commercials.  Dammit.  However, while I will be losing my DVR, I still have a mute button.
3.  Many channels, nothing on.  We've got something like 200 channels on our digital tier, but we watch maybe 10, 12 of them?  That is just throwing away money.
4.  I simply watch too much darn TV.  This move, a complete paradigm shift, by the way, may spur me to keep the idiot box off, and read more, spend more time doing things around the house, or, dare I say it, spend more time with my kids!

I will miss turning on the TV, and knowing what is going on RIGHT NOW.  Then again, I still have the interwebs, but there is nothing quite like live TV.  I will miss those new shows that I am not quite sure how to get over streaming technology, if they are available at all.  I will miss my DVR, and live sports, both which I cannot get (I think) over my Roku box.

When it came time to make this move, Megan and I both did extensive research, and found that this will be the most cost effective way to watch TV in our house.  When you look at both satellite and cable, both are pretty comparable cost wise, with the biggest difference being one requires a contract, and the other does not.

So, upon the 'morrow (or today, or whenever you read this) I will be returning the cable box and remote to Crime Warner Cable. 

I'll let you know how it's going.

See you tomorrow.

--Jonny

No comments:

Post a Comment